Date: 3 July 2006
Everyone goes through a variety of feelings everyday, ranging from happiness to despair, from depression to anger and from frustration to contentment. Problems arise when these feelings get out of control and affect your life. You need to find ways to handle them affectively.
Why People Hide Their Feelings?
- Fear of being a burden to others
- Too personal to discuss
- Mistakenly thinking that all mature people should know how to handle their feelings
- Worried about other people’s reactions
- Thinking that no one will understand and listen to you
- Thinking that being unable to solve problems is a sign of weakness
- Thinking that the problem is too minor to be discussed
How to handle your Feelings
- Pay attention to your feelings
- Talk about your feelings
- Listen to what others have to say
- You can share your feelings with family members, friends, spouse, neighbours, religious leaders, club members, family doctors, counsellors, etc.
The Wisdom of Sharing Your Feelings
- Feeks nice
- Reduces your tension
- You may get a good solution for your problems
- You will realise that you are not alone. There are people who still love and care for you
Sharing your feelings and problems leads to better mental health
Source: A Public Health Education Information from the Ministry of Health Malaysia