Date: 3 July 2006
No man is an island
In our daily life we need to interact with others. If we interact positively we can achieve good mental health which will enable us to live life to the fullest.
What will happen if you do not get along with people?
- Accusations and resentment
- Threatening environment and hostility
- Deteriorating quality of life
Tips on getting along with people Be respectful
- To gain respect one must respect others.
- Always address someone by his/her name.
- Speak politely and ask for permission when you need someone’s help.
Be attentive and sincere
- Learn to listen when somebody is talking.
- Do not interrupt and give unwanted advice.
- Try to maintain eye contact.
Be flexible and cooperative
- Learn to cooperate and compromise with other people.
- Be sensitive to what they need and disire.
Be accepting and forgiving
- Learn to accept people’s strengths and weaknesses. It is important to be able to forgive other people’s mistakes, because by doing so, other people will also accept and treat us the same way.
Acknowledge and compliment
- Learn to appreciate other people’s contributions by giving appropriate compliments and credits whenever it is called for.
The key to a harmonious life is to get along with the people around you.
Source: A Public Health Education Information from the Ministry of Health Malaysia